Sweet potato and carrot cream soup for a healthy, light, warming up and most importantly a quick dinner to prepare :-) I appreciate this recipe for not having to stand in the kitchen too long for a delicious and filling dish that tastes the whole family.
The soup itself is slightly sweet, mainly due to sweet potatoes. The addition of ginger and spices gives it an interesting, expressive taste. If you like even more expressive flavors, just add more spices. When cooking for a child, it is best to season soup in a separate pot. The consistency of this soup is just right for me - I do not like very thick creams, and this one is so perfectly in the middle ;-)
You can pour soup into a cup for a child who does not use a spoon or give something to dip in a soup (eg bread).
Why you should eat sweet potatoes? They have very high nutritional values (50% more than potatoes) and health benefits. They are a good source of protein and a real vitamin bomb (including vitamin C, B, E, K), they also contain valuable minerals. Sweet potatoes also have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. Just like carrots they are rich in beta-carotene and lutein, which has a good effect on vision.
Ingredients for sweet potato and carrot soup:
- 1 l broth
- 500 g sweet potatoes
- 250 g carrots
(2 medium pieces)
- 1 large onion
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 3 spoons of olive oil
- fresh ginger imbir - piece of about 1 cm
- sweet pepper - 1 flat teaspoon
- turmeric - a big pinch
- nutmeg - a big pinch
- chili - a big pinch
- pepper, salt (salt above 1 year old)
- optional: favorite topping (eg puff pastry, croutons, expanded amaranth, inactive yeast flakes, cream)
- Peel sweet potatoes, carrot and onions and cut into cubes.
- Put the onions into the olive oil heated in a pot. Fry over low heat for a few minutes until it is glazed, stirring occasionally. In the meantime, peel garlic and squeeze it into a pot with onion and heat the broth.
- Add the sweet potato and carrot to onion and garlic. Fry everything for 5-10 minutes under the lid, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the boiling broth into the vegetables. Add spices (in the version for little ones we can skip and add at the end) and also peeled and finely grated ginger. Cook until the sweet potato and carrots become soft (about 15 minutes).
- Blend the soup. Sprinkle the soup with your favorite toppings.
Recipe in Polish language: BLW Zupa z batatów i marchewki