Gingerbread oat muffins with apples
porridge from the oven
Recipe for oat and apple gingerbread muffins was created on the wave of Christmas baking. We can't get enough of gingerbread flavors yet, so the cinnamon and other spices go in a variety of dishes. Waiting for the Christmas, between baking gingerbread cookies and cakes, we make this baked porridge, which is a really good start of the day. Muffins were supposed to be an idea for breakfast, but we also like to snack on them throughout the day. Of course, in the case of babies and small children you have to dose this pleasure (due to the high content of cinnamon), but adults do not have such limits ;-)
The recipe contains a fairly large amount of cinnamon (in gingerbread spice). Due to the fact that cinnamon should be consumed in moderation (especially for children under 1 year old), babies should not eat too much of this muffinss. It is best to use Ceylon cinnamon, which, in comparison to "regular" cinnamon, has a lower content of coumarin (a substance with potential toxic effects, if its daily tolerated dose is exceeded).
Ingredients for gingerbread oat muffins with apples:
- 150 g oat flakes
- 2 big or 3 medium apples
(about 500 g)
- 1 egg
- 125 ml plant milk (can be coconut milk) or cow's milk
- 30 g spelt flour
(about 3 heaped tablespoons)
- 2-3 medium heaped teaspoons of gingerbread spice *
- 1 medium heaped teaspoon of carob
- 20 g honey (only after 1 year old, about 1 slightly crested spoon) or 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- coconut oil or clarified butter to grease the muffin tins
Recipe for gingerbread oat muffins with apples:
- Prepare muffin tins - grease them with coconut oil or clarified butter.
I prepare 12 muffins from the proportions given in recipe.
- Crack the egg into a deeper bowl and whisk it with a fork. Add milk, sweetener*, gingerbread spice, carob and oat flakes. Mix everything together to evenly combine the ingredients.
* If you use honey that is not liquid, you can first dissolve it in slightly warmed milk. Cool before adding to eggs.
- Peel apples and remove the seed nests. Leave half of one apple (to sprinkle muffins on top), grate the rest of the apples on fine grater to a bowl with muffin dough and mix the ingredients. Cut the remaining half of the apple into small cubes.
- Set the oven at 180 degrees with hot air on.
- Add flour to the dough and mix.
- Put the dough evenly into the muffin tins with a spoon. Sprinkle the muffins with apple cubes, you can also lightly press them to make them sink into the dough.
- Bake at 180 degrees with hot air for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn on the heating from below (with hot air on) and bake muffins for another 10 minutes. After removing from the oven, wait for the muffins to cool.