how to make plant milk at home
How to make homemade coconut milk? It is very simple. To make coconut milk you only need two ingredients - desiccated coconut (not containing sulfur dioxide) and water. In relation to coconut milk from cans or cartons, homemade one is cheaper and without strange additives in the ingredients. And the way it tastes... :-)
Coconut milk is a great alternative for people who can not consume cow's milk due to lactose intolerance or allergy to cow's milk protein. Homemade coconut milk is actually healthier for our body than cow's milk from farm animals.
Coconut milk can be used to prepare drinks, pastries, porridge, millet, pancakes, oriental dishes, and also your coffee :-)
Ingredients for homemade coconut milk:
- 100 g desiccated coconut (without sulfur dioxide)
- 750 ml water
Recipe for homemade coconut milk:
- Prepare a strainer with fine mesh and a pot for milk.
- In the second pot, boil the water and set aside to cool slightly (so that the water is still hot, but not boiling).
- Add desiccated coconut to the pot with water and set aside for a few minutes.
- Blend the desiccated coconut together with the water for about 2-3 minutes. You can use a cup or hand blender. I use the hand blender, but in his case it is best to cover the top of the dish with something (e.g. a cloth) so the milk does not splash around.
- Pour blended desiccated coconut in portions through a strainer and strain into a pot, pressing firmly against the strainer with a spoon.
- What has been drained into the pot is coconut milk :-) Pour it into a jar and store in the fridge.
The milk, once it stands a little, stratifies. This is normal and you should simply mix or shake the milk well before using it.
The desiccated coconut remaining after making milk (so-called coconut pulp) can be used, for example, to make cookies, cakes, pancakes, porridge, millet.